Filing a Corrected Claim

Corrected Claim Filing

Printer FriendlyTell a Friend

Corrected Claim Filing Guidelines

There are general guidelines by the National Uniform Claim Committee (NUCC) and Medicare, however, it is important to remember that different carriers can have different guidelines for filing a corrected claim. 

DO NOT use a corrected claim for payment disputes.  IF you are disputing a payment, you must follow that insurance carrier's official appeals  process.

CMS 1500 (Professional) Paper Claims

On the CMS-1500 Form, use Box 22 (Medicaid Resubmission Code). Enter the frequency code “7” in the “Code” field and the original claim number in the “Original Ref No.” field.

UB04 (Facility)  Paper Claims

On the UB-04 (CMS 1450) Form, use Box 4 (Type of Bill). Enter either “7” (corrected claim), “5” (late charges), or “8” (void or cancel a prior claim) as the third digit in Box 4 (Type of Bill).  Then in box 64 (Document Control Number), enter the original claim number.

Full Site Search
Need Help?

There are many ways to get help on our website.  Please try the following places:

Search the Knowledge Base

Frequently Asked Questions

Support Page

Post a question for our Support Staff.

© 1998-2014 InstaCode Institute, L.C.        Toll Free: 877-963-2633